These days, there is no reason to ignore tooth loss. There are so many amazing options to replace missing teeth. Dental implants are giving many of our patients a new lease on life. Implants are the closest you’ll ever come to real teeth. They look identical to your natural smile. They are just as durable (if not, maybe a little more) than your natural teeth, so you can eat what you love. They are also designed to last a lifetime. If you’re dealing with tooth loss, the dentists at Urban Dental Group are ready to help.
Tooth Loss is a Real Problem
Tooth loss is a serious problem with our adults and not just our older populations. In fact, 69 percent of adults ages 35 to 44 have lost at least one permanent tooth, according to the American Association of Maxillofacial Surgeons. Fortunately, dental implants offer a lifelike and long-term solution for missing teeth.
A dental implant is made up of three parts:
- The metal screw or post, which replaces the missing tooth roots (this part is placed into the jawbone)
- The abutment, which attaches to the top of the implant and connects the false teeth with the implant
- The dental crown, which is cemented over the abutment to complete the restoration
Dental implants function differently from other tooth replacement options, which is probably what makes them so popular. The implant is surgically placed into the jawbone where, over time, the jawbone and implant fuse together naturally. This means, that this false tooth won’t move or shift around whenever you chew, talk, or bite. Yes, in essence, this tooth will feel and look just like the rest of your natural smile.
Getting Dental Implants
Most healthy individuals who are missing one or more permanent teeth are ideal candidates for implants. The steps involved in getting dental implants from our Seattle dental team include,
- A consultation: Before we can get started, we need to make sure you are right for implants. We will take x-rays and examine your mouth to determine your candidacy. Once you’ve been deemed right for implants, we will begin mapping out your treatment plan.
- Implantation: To place the implant into the jawbone, surgery is required. Luckily, this is a minor procedure that usually takes no more than 30-45 minutes to place a single implant. The procedure is performed under local anesthesia. After the surgery, you will need to give your mouth several months to fully heal around the implant.
- Abutment placement: Once the implant and jawbone have healed and fused together, we will need to uncover the implant so that we can place the abutment on top. This requires us to open up the gums to place the abutment.
- Placing the crown: Once the gums have healed from placing the abutment it’s now time for the final step: cementing the crown over the abutment. Now you have a beautiful, full smile again.
No one should have to live with an incomplete smile.
If tooth loss has impacted you, you could be an ideal candidate for dental implants.
Call Urban Dental Group in Seattle at (206) 686-8800 to schedule your consultation.